Below, we provide specific examples of the types of PII NBOA may collect through the Site.
Contact Information: NBOA may request or require contact information, such as your name, address, phone number, facsimile number, title, school or organization name, and e-mail address.
Demographic Information: NBOA may collect demographic and general profile data (e.g., educational, professional, and geographic information).
Transactional Information: NBOA may maintain a database of aggregated information about the transactions on the Site (e.g., tool or feature (and related database) utilization, registration information, and article, program, activity, or content selection data).
Financial Information: NBOA may use credit card account information submitted by you to complete a transaction.
Technical Information: NBOA may collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses from all users of our Site as well as the date and time of access and the Web page(s) accessed. NBOA may also catalog your log-in information and the type of computer, browser, or operating system used by the user.
To improve the quality of the information and services NBOA offers to you and to otherwise operate the Site and provide certain of its features, tools, and functionality, NBOA collects various PII (as described above) from different parts of its Site. NBOA gathers most information voluntarily from you during the registration processes it utilizes to allow for membership and/or to enable use of certain online tools or certain information, forums, directories, materials, and/or services. NBOA uses this information to contact the user about registration, resources and services. NBOA may request PII at other times, including, but not limited to, when you report a problem with our Site, when you complete survey forms, when you register for a program or event, or when you request to receive communications from NBOA. It is optional to submit information in response to these requests.
The Site offers two different levels of access and service: (1) publicly available information areas and (2) registered member areas where an individual can access particular features, applications, courses, and tools (the "Registered Member Section(s)"). Most of the Site is informational in nature and publicly available to all users,. Please also note that certain PII is available for public review on the Site. Consequently, until you register, participate in surveys, sign up for a program or event, or request to receive information from NBOA, you are able to browse the Site without providing any PII, although your browser may tell us what type of computer and operating system you are using as well as other kinds of technical information.
When you provide PII to NBOA, you share that information only with NBOA, unless it is specifically stated otherwise or you are using a service or completing a transaction involving third party products, applications, and/or services, such as on-line registration for events or the processing of membership fees. In such instances, information sharing will be necessary to enable the transaction to take place.
Below, is more detail on NBOA's legitimate interest in collecting and using data.
Contact Information: NBOA may use your contact information in connection with the provision of its services and content and to enable you to participate in the Site's activities, applications, and offerings. NBOA may also use your contact information to facilitate registration with NBOA or with a particular program or event, to advertise its services and the goods and services of third parties, to create a personalized experience for you, to provide you with news and information, to contact you regarding a survey, and to get in touch with you when necessary with respect to transactions conducted through the Site, material changes in our Site's policies and agreements, new services NBOA may offer, or otherwise.
When you register as a member of NBOA, your contact information is added to our member directory and you may be auto-subscribed to NBOA Connect Communities where you can engage with other members. When you register for an NBOA event, you will be added to an event directory and online community discussions related to your registration within our site. Other members can access information in connection with the Site's member directory, community directories and event directories. In your Privacy Settings and Community Notifications, you can: (i) remove your profile from online directories, (ii) control what PII is visible to others, and (iii) unsubscribe from community discussions. We also share your information including contact information and other data such as event registration with our business partners, as is necessary to provide our services and to allow for the on-line registration for events, for advertising purposes, for analysis, and for internal business purposes. NBOA may share PII with other school associations to offer you opportunities to voluntarily participate in surveys from time to time.
Demographic Information: NBOA may use demographic information you provide for administrative, management, and monitoring purposes in order to continue to improve the Site and the quality of NBOA's on-line services. In addition, NBOA may share, license, and/or sell survey results and aggregated demographic data collected through the Site with its business partners, the general public, the news media, and with the U.S. Government and state governments, not only as may be required by law, but also for advertising purposes, for release to third parties, and to participate in government programs and initiatives. But, such information will not identify any particular user.
Transactional Information: NBOA may share, license, and/or sell transactional data on an aggregated basis, which will not identify any particular user, with advertisers or other third parties, including our business partners, for business purposes.
Financial Information: NBOA may use credit card information to process payments for programs or services on the Site or to facilitate membership application or renewal.
Technical Information: NBOA may use technical information, such as your IP address or browser type, to help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze Site usage trends, track user movements on the Site, and to otherwise manage and monitor our Site.
Legal Action: NBOA may disclose PII when legally required to do so in accordance with government requests or regulations or legal proceedings. We may also disclose PII to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Site or as is otherwise required to limit legal liability, protect or defend our rights, property, or interests, or protect the safety, rights, or property of our users.
As is appropriate for the nature of PII collected and stored by NBOA, this Site has industry standard security measures or safeguards in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under NBOA's control. Although NBOA has endeavored to create a secure and reliable Site, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted via the Internet cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly, you should consider carefully if you want to submit sensitive information via the Internet. NBOA urges you to take every precaution to protect your PII when on-line.
You have the following choices regarding the use of your information:
- You may choose not to provide us with any personal information, but we may not be able to process your requests. The collection, use, and distribution of your PII is necessary for NBOA to provide certain features, applications, and services and to otherwise operate the Site. For example, all users who register for the Registered Member Section(s), apply for membership, sign up for a program or event, and/or seek to receive information or newsletters from NBOA will need to agree to NBOA's use and collection of PII.
- Once registered with the Registered Member Section(s), NBOA maintains your information so long as you are registered as a member and/or for NBOA's services at this Site, unless you request to remove your information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users may opt-out of including the PII they provide to NBOA in connection with the following activities: (i) inclusion in user mailings, (ii) e-mail communications sent by NBOA, (iii) facsimile communications sent by NBOA, (iv) future donation programs, and (v) sharing arrangements with NBOA's business partners.
- Most of NBOA's programs are completely voluntary. You are permitted to browse through and access the non-restricted areas of the Site and can decide on your own if you wish to provide your PII or opt-out of doing so. For example, if NBOA conducts a survey, you do not have to participate unless you agree to do so.
- When NBOA contacts you, from time to time, regarding its products/services, this Site, or otherwise, NBOA specifically provides you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving similar future correspondence by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Members may request that their information not be included in the member directory by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may set your browser not to accept cookies, or to warn you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. If you choose not to accept cookies, however, your ability to navigate this Site may be hindered.
At any time, you may contact NBOA to correct, modify, or delete the information you provide to NBOA through this Site, namely, your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, and contact preferences. Moreover, when you cease to use NBOA's services or no longer wish to be included in NBOA database, you may contact NBOA at email@example.com to request to have your information removed from our database. In the event that NBOA receives such a request or change, NBOA may require you to confirm or verify any change to your record. Please note, however, that the collection and uses of certain PII is necessary to provide certain services, functionality, or information through the Site and the deletion of such necessary PII, e.g., an e-mail address, may render a particular service or functionality or NBOA's ability to provide it inoperable.
NBOA cares about the safety of children on its Site and encourages parents and guardians to monitor their children's use of the Internet. Although the Site is suitable for a general audience, this Site is intended for use only by users who are over 18 years of age or the legal age of majority. Accordingly, NBOA does not knowingly solicit PII from children or send them requests for personal information.
- Right to access personal data: You have the right to know what personal data is maintained and how it is processed.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to have your personal data deleted or removed for any reason at any time.
- Right to restrict processing: You have the right to block or suppress processing of personal data.
- Right of data portability: You have the right to retain and reuse your personal data for your own purpose.
- Right to object: You have the right to object the use of personal data in certain circumstances, including the use of personal data for direct marketing.
- Right to withdraw consent: To the extent we rely on your consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority: You have the right to bring a concern about NBOA's privacy practices to a data protection authority.
You can exercise your rights or address any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.