NBOA’s work in fiscal 2020 reflected three goals outlined in the 2018–2022 strategic plan:
- Strengthen NBOA's community: Foster an engaged, informed and diverse membership.
- Advance the core: Continue to innovate benefits, products and services that support nboa’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Maximize impact: Amplify NBOA's position as the industry thought leader to expand value within and across independent schools.
All data points are for fiscal 2020 (July 1, 2019–June 30, 2020) unless otherwise noted.
Download the NBOA Strategic Plan and Bylaws.
Strengthen NBOA’s Community
Foster an engaged, informed and diverse membership.
- 1,425 U.S. member schools
- 69 New U.S. member schools
- 114 International member schools
- 13 New international member schools
- 737 New NBOA Connect discussions
- 12,884 NBOA members active in one or more communities on NBOA Connect
- 3,525 Registrants for live webinars
- 304 Participants in online courses
- 117 Business partners
- 11 New business partners
- 14,345 Follows and likes on social media
- New in 2020: 2 additional NBOA awards launched:
Advance the Core
Continue to innovate benefits, products and services that support NBOA’s mission and strategic priorities.
- 42 CPE-approved programs offered (NASBA CPE, HRCI and SHRM)
- 20 Just-in-time COVID-19 webinars by NBOA and 14 webinars hosted by other organizations on which NBOA staff presented, with 17,000 viewers reached through the combined 34 programs
- 1,523 Webinar attendees on “Thinking Ahead: COVID-19 Considerations for Reopening Your School Campus”
- 31 Live webinars offered
- 179 Webinars archived for members’ 24-7 access
- 95 Sessions at the 2020 NBOA Annual Meeting
- 8 Cohort receptions at the 2020 NBOA Annual Meeting
- 4 On-demand courses offered
- New in 2020: Courses updated with new considerations in light of COVID-19
- 17 Online courses offered
- 48,458 copies of magazine mailed
- 24 Issues of Net Assets NOW e-newsletter distributed
- 410 New articles published on NetAssets.org
- New Course: Engaging in Difficult Conversations with Employees During the Pandemic (fall 2020)
- $1.7 Million member savings from Purchasing Point (calendar year)
- New in 2020: Personal protective equipment (PPE) offered through Purchasing Point
- 121 Exhibitors at the 2019 NBOA Annual Meeting
- New in 2020: 12,482 Visits to the COVID-19 resource hub on nboa.org (calendar year)
- New in 2020: 8 robust COVID-19 resources added to the NBOA Library, including Employee Leave Considerations Tool, Rosner Campus Space Planning Tool (calendar year)
- 52 Demographics reports produced for NBOA member schools
- 20 Regulatory Updates
- New in 2020: 23 articles on pandemic management, with a total of 38,073 readers engaged
- New in 2020: Launched the NBOA Leadership Academy, with 16 participants and 4 mentors
Amplify NBOA’s position as the industry thought leader to expand value within and across independent schools.
- 18 National and regional organizations that partnered with NBOA staff on programming
- 415 Schools completed BIIS data entry
- 250 Schools participated in the 2019 Commonfund Benchmarks Study
- Extended partnership with Commonfund Institute to incorporate the Commonfund Benchmarks Study® of Independent Schools data collection into BIIS (calendar year)
- New in 2020: 4 COVID-19 flash surveys, 1,047 responses
- 102 Volunteers served on councils, committees, task forces, faculty and the NBOA Board of Directors
- New in 2020: Launched Business Officers Council (fall 2020)
- 85 Attendees at the 2020 Senior Leaders Seminars at the 2020 NBOA Annual Meeting
- New in 2020: NBOA Board of Directors approved NBOA’s Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- New in 2020: Entered third year of partnership with the Enrollment Management Association to explore the independent school business model (fall 2020)
- New in 2020: Published research report “Financial State of the Industry: BIIS 5-Year Trend Report 2015–2019”, 697 downloads
- New in 2020: Published ebook “Operating Guidance for Independent School Pandemic Management: COVID-19 Field Guide” (fall 2020), 811 downloads
- New in 2020: Published fully revised second edition of “Practical Guidance for Independent School Business Operations: An Assessment Tool”
- New in 2020: Published book “Effective Financial Governance for Independent School Trustees” (fall 2020)
- New in 2020: Published research report “Demographics of the Independent School Business Office: Key Research Findings 2020” (fall 2020)
Download a PDF of the NBOA Year in Review.