This week, as the Enrollment Management Association’s Annual Conference kicks off in Washington, DC, EMA and NBOA’s partnership to research and analyze challenging issues at the intersection of independent school finance and enrollment models enters its second year. This year’s focus is expanded from “The Future of Financial Aid” to a broader exploration of the multifaceted independent school business model, which is almost entirely supported by and dependent upon enrollment. Jennifer Osland Hillen, NBOA’s vice president of professional development and business affairs, and Kristen Power, EMA’s national director of business development, will address “Emerging Tuition and Pricing Models in a Disrupted Landscape” in a featured conference program on Thursday. Leaders from EMA will present on “Affordability and the Competition Facing Independent Schools” at the 2020 NBOA Annual Meeting in Orlando, February 23-26, and additional national and regional presentations are in development.
Last year the partnership led to numerous presentations, webinars and articles. Here are key resources from the past year:
All archived NBOA webinars are available to NBOA members.
- Tuition Sticker Price Discipline Using Micro- and Macroeconomics (August 2019)
- Forging a New Path with the Family Individualized Tuition (FIT) Model (August 2019)
- Rebuilding the Independent School Business Model in a Time of Change (August 2019)
- The Future of Financial Aid in a Disrupted Landscape (August 2019)
- The Future of Financial Aid: Is it Dead? (November 2018)
- EMA Financial Aid Training Series (Fall 2018, one featuring Jennifer Osland Hillen)
Net Assets Articles
NBOA members should sign in to access to premium Net Assets magazine content.
- Modeling Sustainability: Four Tuition Models to Consider (July/August 2019)
- Projections: Our Increasingly Risky Business Model (July/August 2019)
- Overcommitted: The Future of Financial Aid (November/December 2018)
- Recruit, Retain, Remit: Trends in Tuition Remission (November/December 2018)
- What Every Business Officer Needs to Know About Enrollment Management — a Conversation (November/December 2018)
- Strategies: Tackling Aid Together (November/December 2018)
All archived NBOA Annual Meeting presentations, including slides, recordings and selected executive summaries, are available to NBOA members.
- Economics of the School Marketplace: Navigating Disruptive Change in Enrollment Management, Pricing and Financial Aid (2019 NBOA Annual Meeting Deep Dive)
- From Financial Aid to Flexible Tuition: Changing the Conversation (2019 NBOA Annual Meeting Session)
- Changing Financial Aid Focus from Student Headcount to Net Tuition Revenue (2019 NBOA Annual Meeting Session)
- Leveling the Playing Field: The Real Cost of Independent Schools (2019 NBOA Annual Meeting Session)
More on the Partnership
- NBOA Partners with EMA Toward Financial Aid’s Future (September 2018)
- The Future of Financial Aid (from EMA, November 2018)
- The Future of Financial Aid: Key Resources (January 2019)
See EMA’s key resources page and tuition and financial strategy page for additional content, including podcasts, videos, webinars and special reports, and stay tuned for further developments throughout the 2019-20 school year. Have ideas about what you’d like to see covered? We’d love to hear from you. Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.