Arthur J. Gallagher


TULIP: must-have insurance for 3rd-party events.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., headquartered in Itasca, Illinois, was founded in 1927. For over 88 years, Gallagher companies have planned and administered a full array of insurance, risk management, self-insured, claims management and employee benefit products and services, providing innovative solutions in nearly 20 different industries. Gallagher's advisors understand your business and how hard you work to deliver on your promises. We're your global partner in achieving your goals. Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. - the only insurance broker on the Ethisphere Institute's list of the World's Most Ethical Companies.


TULIP Program

TULIP is a Tenant-User Liability Insurance Policy. A school can make TULIP available to any qualified groups or individuals who use the school's facilities to hold qualified events. Users must be third parties who have no relation to the school, meaning they are not a subsidiary of the school nor does the school fund them in any way. For example, a Parents' Association that operates under the school's tax identification number or receives funding from the school would not be considered a third party eligible to use TULIP. A faculty member who runs a summer camp as an independent contractor, however, would be considered a third party eligible to use TULIP.

The school directs the user to the  TULIP website. The user logs in using the Location Code for the school, which can be found on the website by clicking on "If you don't know the facility ID then click here," then selecting "National Business Officers Association Member" from the drop-down menu, and then selecting the school from the resulting list. The user then completes the application form and pays by credit card for the coverage.

Upon completion of the transaction, the user and the school will receive a copy of the application and a binder of coverage via email. For all events, the school will automatically be named as "additional insured."



What is the NBOA TULIP?

The NBOA TULIP is an insurance policy that has been created especially for schools that are members of NBOA.

What is TULIP?

TULIP is a Tenant-User Liability Insurance Policy. It is designed to provide insurance for individuals or organizations using school facilities. It is event-specific, and can cover vendors, performers, and exhibitors, if needed. It will only cover events held at the school.

How does the program work?

The school has a unique Location Code for the program.

Once the school has agreed to allow you, the tenant-user, to use their facilities, they will provide you with the school's location code. Using that Code, you will log on to the  TULIP website and provide the necessary information about your event by completing the application for coverage. The transaction is concluded with payment for the quoted insurance coverage using your credit card.

Upon completion of the transaction, a copy of the certificate binder will be emailed to you and to the school's business office.

How much will this cost?

Price varies by three factors: risk level, event length, and attendance. Other price factors include any special requirements, such as alcohol liability, food service, etc. The minimum price for a one-day, class I event for 1-100 people is $103. Average costs are between $100 and $400 per event.

How long will it take to get a policy?

Upon successful completion of the online application, a certificate of insurance is instantly emailed to the tenant user. Tenant users must purchase coverage a minimum of 24 hours before the event takes place, as same-day purchase is not allowed by the online system. It is good practice for the facility to require coverage as soon as possible.

What coverage and limits are available?

The TULIP policy provides the following coverage:

  • General liability: Limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Third-party property damage: Limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • TRIA

Host liquor liability for alcohol service is included (this is when you provide alcohol at no charge to attendees). Check with the school if you plan to sell alcohol; coverage is available at additional cost.

For more details, please call the business office at the school.

What kinds of events does the program cover?

Class I events are low-risk, and include weddings, receptions, classical music recitals, dance shows, art shows, meetings, socials, etc.

Class II events are considered slightly higher risk, and include several outdoor events, soap box derbies, and union meetings.

Class III events are the highest category of events that can be automatically covered without underwriter oversight, and include some sports events, small parades, and theatrical stage performances.

All events not listed under the Eligible Events list do not qualify for the TULIP program. If there is any question regarding event eligibility, tenant users should contact EBI directly at 800-507-8414.

What events are considered Class I?

  • Anniversary Parties
  • Antique Shows
  • Art Festivals
  • Art Shows
  • Auctions
  • Auto Shows
  • Award Presentations
  • Ballet or other Classical Dance Shows
  • Banquets
  • Bazaars
  • Beauty Pageants
  • Body Building Contests
  • Business Meetings
  • Business Shows
  • Birthday Parties
  • Charity Benefits, Auctions, or Sales
  • Church Services or Meetings
  • Civic Club Meetings
  • Classical Music Concerts—Indoors
  • Consumer Shows
  • Conventions in Buildings
  • Craft Shows
  • Debuts
  • Debutante Balls
  • Drill Team Exhibitions
  • Educational Exhibitions
  • Electronics Exhibitions
  • Fashion Shows
  • Flower Shows
  • Garden Shows
  • Graduation
  • Harvest Festivals—no farm implements or equipment
  • Home Shows
  • Jam and Jazz Concerts—Indoors
  • Job Fair—Indoors
  • Ladies Club Events
  • Lectures
  • Luncheons
  • Meetings—Indoors
  • Pageants
  • Professional and Amateur Association Meetings
  • Reunions—Indoors
  • Séances
  • Scouting Jamborees—no overnight camping
  • Seminars
  • Social Receptions—Indoors
  • Speaking Engagements
  • Symphony Concerts
  • Teleconferences
  • Telethons
  • Trade Shows—Indoors
  • Vacation Shows
  • Voter Registration
  • Weddings

Am I required to use the NBOA program?

No. Most businesses and groups already have general liability insurance that will cover this exposure. If you have such coverage, you need only contact your insurance agent to get a certificate of insurance for the school, making sure you have the limits and coverage’s that are required by the school, and naming the school as an additional insured.

Individuals may wish to check with their personal insurance agent to see if the coverage required by the school is available as an extension of their homeowner's or tenant's policy.

TULIP is designed to be quick and easy for qualified events and to provide automatic event documentation to the school.

Does receiving this coverage assure me of using the school's facility?

No. Issuance of the Insurance Binder and/or the Certificate of Insurance does not guarantee the TULIP purchaser use of the school's facilities. The school must approve your use of its facility prior to the purchase of insurance.

Is TULIP available in other countries?

Insurance is valid only for campus facilities in the U.S.

What is the refund policy?

Refunds for cancellations will be given only if notification is given to EBI in writing at least one full business day (24 hours) before the date of the insured event.

How can I get more information about the TULIP Program?

Please contact the EBI TULIP Help Desk at 800-507-8414 if you are having difficulties with the website or have questions about high-risk activities or other program details.